Saturday, 12 March 2011

Choose your evil

The recent devastating earthquakes in Christchurch and Japan and smaller ones around the Pacific Rim led my South African mother-in-law to suggest we consider SA as a new home.

SA has drawbacks too - human ones - a lack of respect for human life in Africa after years of war, oppressive regimes, dictators and poverty has led to rape and murder being commonplace.

I think I prefer sudden shrugs by mother nature.... don't know why but maybe it's the devil-you-know syndrome. I've always known that living in Wellington had its risks seismically. We had earthquake drills in primary school. You can't live in fear - so I don't.

2 comments:

  1. Was HK badly affected in this last quake, or in its aftermath (tsunamis)? I think I would tend to agree with you on living where nature may take its course, but human cruelty is less prevalent. I hope you are all staying safe. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. HK protected by Philippines and Taiwan from Tsunami....and a LONG way from Japan earthquake wise so we are fine. Both sets of grandparents a little freaked trying to check.

    ReplyDelete