Monday, 7 February 2011

Gran

Matthew 7:1-5 

 1 “Do not judge, or you too will be judged. 2 For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.
   3 “Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 4 How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? 5 You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.

Luke 6:37, 41-42

  37 “Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven. [...] 
   41 “Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 42 How can you say to your brother, ‘Brother, let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when you yourself fail to see the plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.

My maternal grandmother believed in taking every one as you find them, expecting the best from others and giving of your best to all, regardless of who or what they are. Although she died many years ago I am reminded of her philosophy almost daily. 

Gran died following a long fight with breast cancer and 'designed' her own funeral Mass complete with readings. I read one of the above with Dad holding me from behind. 

Gran and Grandad with Mum - about the same age and stage as we are now!
I was reminded of this on the weekend when I met a woman for the second time. The first time I met her I didn't warm to her; she is immaculately turned out (I just can't manage that anymore so I am jealous) and she is a smoker (hate the sin and not the sinner Kate!) so I didn't make conversation and talked to the people I already knew. After TALKING to this lady over a glass of wine I discovered we have a lot in common BUT more importantly my snap judgement was WRONG. 

Sorry Gran, point taken, will try harder.

(Those of you who are wondering - yes Luke is named for the apostle. Saint Luke the Evangelist was a doctor himself and is the patron saint of physicians, surgeons, butchers and students. Very appropriate for the child of a veterinarian and physician.)

No comments:

Post a Comment