Thursday, 10 February 2011

Second, third and fourth languages!

Just a quick one tonight 'cos I'm buggered! 

Gratuitous shot of flower market...
(Thanks ladies - dim sum, Fa Yuen street market then afternoon tea - hmmmm - 'French toast' which in HK is 'stuffed' with peanut butter and condensed milk!)

PLEASE take the opportunity to learn another language - even a few words. 

I have had the privilege of learning French, Mandarin and now Cantonese along with my native English. I am ashamed to say that my  Maori only extends to greetings and ceremonies. Speaking a few words has improved my experience in Tahiti, France, China, Hong Kong and Singapore; better service, easier travel and a more authentic 'experience' of the culture.

Case in point:-

Today at afternoon tea in Mong Kok (very busy part of Hong Kong with markets, a whole street of goldfish shops (amazing!!!) and a flower market) we struck a lovely waitress with minimal English. The menu was bilingual and we were all getting on famously with pointing and smiling. 

....and fish on Tung Choi Street
Hong Kong restaurants love 'sets' - combo deals. At this particular place, a coffee/tea cost HK$19 (US$2.50) and a 'set' HK$21. The waitress was shocked that two of our party would not want food for just HK$2 - surely you can always eat - and expressed as much in Cantonese. I laughed, translated and then explained in Cantonese that they weren't real Hong Kongers but I would have the 'French Toast' - 西多士(literally Western many soldiers/knights - sai do si - often Cantonese words for European concepts are transliterations rather than translations). The poor lady almost fell over when she heard me speak Cantonese - a pleasant surprise I hope! 

The farce regarding hot water to heat a baby's bottle was more French than the toast! Three attempts were needed before a vessel large enough for the bottle materialised!

1 comment:

  1. I studied, at various points, Spanish, French and German, and a smattering of Russian. Having studied voice in college, I regularly sang in a variety of languages. I can get the basics across in each of these, even joke with locals (well, last time I was abroad, which was 16 years ago O_o). It makes me feel proud to be able to do this!

    ReplyDelete