Tuesday, 1 February 2011

Common-sense

As a parent it is very easy to fall victim to an overdose of advice; most of it crazy passionate.

Some of the dire warnings with which I have been bombarded;

1. jolly-jumpers will destroy my baby's spine
2. formula is poison
3. feeding baby pureed food or rice cereal will ensure he is obese as an adult
4. forward facing baby carriers will psychologically damage Luke
5. not co-sleeping and using a stroller will prevent Luke and I becoming bonded
etc.

Not to be too biased against 'attachment/natural parenting', the other side are just as mad;

1. breast-fed infants miss out on valuable nutrients like DHAs
2. six-month olds need to be in classes for exercise and pre-language
3. if I don't leave Luke with a baby-sitter regularly he will be stunted in his social development
4. eating peanuts while pregnant/breast-feeding will cause allergies in Luke
5. the cat will sit on Luke's face and smother him
etc.

So I've only been a Mum for six months (today is Luke's half-birth-day!), and everything I say I won't do, wouldn't do, shouldn't do, I end up doing very shortly after.

So far;
1. breast-feeding past 6 months - never meant to but Luke doesn't want to be weaned, won't take a bottle and is a little slow on solids
2. baby-led-weaning - where the baby feeds themselves whole-foods as they feel ready - Luke has managed to feed himself banana, avocado, char-siu-bau, congee etc. OOPS!
3. cloth-diapering - meant to do it 100% but travelling and being out and about makes it impractical so we are 75-80%
etc.

Luke and I are together 24/7 and we muddle along. He and I are happy, mostly, and I figure we'll work it out as we go along.

Playing by ear and using our common-sense seems to be working so far!

4 comments:

  1. you are doing great! Don't let others bring you down!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice blog Kate. I'm interested to know whether you think you'd get such helpful advice if you weren't a mother. I mean you're a well educated smart woman and I think ordinarily people wouldn't bother you with stupid theories of the copper-bracelet-cures-your-arthritis-variety. But people seem to have absolutely no shame about spreading superstition when it comes to how to raise your child. I like your doctrine of common sense but I'd LOVE a doctrine of EBM (Evidence Based Motherhood) even more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Evidence based motherhood - not to physician standard - anecdote and bad agenda-based research is all I can find! Paediatrics being disease rather than health/development focussed!

    ReplyDelete